With the boom in technology and modernization, especially electronic advancement, portability has crawled in with great consideration. Be it the smartphones, laptops, smartwatches, inverters or light solutions, manufacturers toil to create the products that are sublime in quality and usage but within small perimeters as well.
It’s always good to have an easy-to-carry solution for your everyday jobs. A portable screen is a newer addition to this portability chain.
Why Portable Monitor?
You can benefit from the portable screen in multiple ways while you work. Suppose you are working on excel spreadsheets where one is required to be opened all the time so you can gather information for it while inserting that info into the other sheet.
Now, phasing between two excel sheets would require more time and effort but with the portable screen, you can keep one for all-time depiction.
If you are a content writer and browse the internet for the needed data, it would be tiring to shift between the tabs and writing a document but with this screen, you can keep the tabs open and in front of your eyes every time. These screens, thus, help to improve work efficiency. Another benefit they offer is their rotation.
They can be attached with the back of the laptops and while you want to discuss a presentation with your co-worker, you can easily flip it towards him and discuss it without needing to sit on the same laptop.
Portable monitors can be connected to smartphones and tabs so you can sit with your friends and share pictures with them from a distance.
Top 10 Best Portable Monitors
|ASUS MB168B 15.6" WXGA 1366x768 USB Portable...||$149.00 $121.60||Buy On Amazon|
|Elecrow 11.6 Inch 1920X1080 HDMI VGA PS3 PS4...||$149.99 $122.99||Buy On Amazon|
|ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC 15.6" Full HD IPS USB...||$249.00 $232.99||Buy On Amazon|
|ViewSonic TD2230 22 Inch 1080p 10-Point Multi...||$279.99 $249.99||Buy On Amazon|
|GAEMS M155 15.5" HD LED Performance Portable...||$329.99||Buy On Amazon|
|GeChic 1305H 13.3 inch FHD 1080p Portable...||$238.99||Buy On Amazon|
|AOC e1659Fwu 15.6-Inch Ultra Slim 1366x768...||$99.99 $84.99||Buy On Amazon|
|Portable Computer Monitor, 4K 15.6 inch HDR...||Buy On Amazon|
|Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 14" Portable USB...||$199.99 $179.95||Buy On Amazon|
Check Also: Best Computer Monitors Under 200
Best Portable Monitors For Laptop & Gaming Reviews
Here are some of the top portable screens with enhanced features and utility.
1. ASUS MB168B [Cheapest Portable Second Screen For Laptop]
This is a slim and attractive 1.6lb screen which has a size of 15.6’’. Covered by a metallic colored plastic and matte plastic on the sides, it presents a chic outlook. It features a single 3.0 USB port for power and data transfer.
Simply connect it with your laptop and use this second screen. The power button is an additional power tool. The screen offers a resolution of 1366×768 which is near to full HD.
The viewing angles are perfect and yield no in compliance when viewed from different directions.
There seem to be no emitted reflections or glares even when it is tilted. The screen can be positioned according to the requirement with the adjustable stand it comes with. The flap can be folded to position the screen in almost 90oand 65o angles but the 65o position is preferred. It might feel a flimsy mounting scheme but is not. The leaning strength of the stand is brilliant and it can be folded over the screen as well to provide for a protective layering. The black, refined material of the stand complements the classy nature of the screen.
Adjustability technology is fed into the screen whereby it can alter between landscape and portrait modes automatically and the brightness of the screen can change according to the lighting conditions. No matter how diverse your surroundings are, the supreme display and brightness settings will respond in the best way along with being safe and energy-efficient as well.
The useful ASUS EzLink technology allows the offloading of PC’s graphics processing on the screen which means that you can connect almost five screens with the laptop without compensating on the graphics of the master machine. This could become increasingly handy in conference situations where a single Projector screen is not utterly visible to the person sitting on the end. All of the members can now have their own screens in front of them, thanks to ASUS MSB168B.
The demerits, however, include the availability of only one USB Port with a short cable so either you have to sit close to the other person or invest to purchase a longer cable. Also, this screen is not compatible with the MacBook.
- 15.6-inch HD portable USB-powered monitor with a single USB 3.0 cable for power and data transmission
- World’s slimmest and lightest USB monitor with a sleek and metallic finish.It needs just one USB cable for both its video signal and power to deliver up to a Full HD resolution.
- Auto-rotating display bundled with the ASUS Smart Case – a two-way adjustable stand and protective sleeve
- ASUS Rapid Replacement: 3 Years Warranty, 2 way free shipping. Never try to open this USB monitor cabinet
- Blue Light Filter – blue light filter minimizes blue light to reduce eyestrain. Please refer the User Manual before use. Adjust the brightness settings via OSD
- Install displayLink drivers if required to work out of the box. Minimum System Requirement : Windows 7 with 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.8.3* (not compatible with MacBook and MacBook Pro); Recommended Requirement : Windows 7 with 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo or above, 2GB RAM
2. Elecrow LED Monitor [Best Portable Monitor For Laptop]
This 11.6’’ screen may be a little weird in color with a strong yellow tone that is noticeable from even a great distance but is assured to fulfill your needs. Providing increased connectivity and a high resolution, this comes with a metal rack to hold it in position.
The adjustable knob of the rack permits the placement of the screen according to your desired vision angle. The design is pretty standard with aluminum covering and smooth cornering.
It sure has a smaller screen size that the ASUS MSB168B but offer a full HD resolution of 1920×1080 pixels. It contains an HDMI, VGA, Audio and a DC power port. There is no USB Port which might be a surprise but the connection can be made with the HDMI. Through it, you can transfer all your audio and video files along with the PowerPoint presentations. The video signals are transmitted by the provided VGA port and are compatible with PS3, Xbox, and Rasberry Pie.
You can run your Rasberry Pie projects and codes on the screen with precision. If you want hand free support, you can connect it with the audio jack. The settings and control button are on the backside of the screen which is a drawback as you find it difficult to locate the buttons each time an alteration is needed. They must have been in front were visible and we fail to understand any logical reason for this placement. The backside contains speakers as well that delivers office-level audio.
It weighs less than 1.4 lbs and cost $125 which is lower than the first model. Among the list of demerits, fragile construction of the screen without any protection comes at the top. There is absolutely no saving scheme installed on the screen and a minute incident like a falling pen can render the screen useless.
- 1. Resolution: 1920X1080, up to 1080p. Display Technology: IPS LED Technology Display with aluminum material design. More durable for usage.
- 2. Work perfectly for PS3 PS4 WiiU XBOX360 Raspberry Pi 4, 3, 2 Model B B+ , industrial equipment, car audio and video, car headrest, medical equipment display.
- 3. Screen Size: 11.6 inches. Aspect ratio: 16: 9 (width: height).
- 4. Appearance size: 288mm x 185mmX25mm Display area: 257mmx 145mm
- 5. You will get: 11.6 inch HD LED display x 1, Power adapter x 1, HDMI cable x 1, Metal Rack x 1
3. ASUS ZenScreen 16ac [Best Portable Gaming Monitor]
Another product of ASUS which suggest the caliber of the company and the effort they invest in the manufacture of the products. This is a significantly delicate and slim piece that can fit in any traveling bag and emerges with a ZenScreen Pen.
The pen is used to operate the screen and brings about a royal effect. Now, you can touch the screen and perform functions even with grease on your hands. How very convenient!
This is a big screen of 15.6’’ with a single USB port that accounts for power and data transfer. It comes with a hybrid-signal solution for the C-type connector to support A-type USB connectors as well. This means it can be connected to almost any laptop and defies the requirement of additional cables for different machines.
The DisplayWidget software allows the screen to automatically sense the orientation and change the preview to landscape or portrait. The landscape mode can be particularly helpful in viewing excel sheets and presentations while the portrait mode to see the normal documents.
The display characteristics are solid and worthy of appreciation. The perfect duo of IPS and flicker-free technology aids to present an HD vision that is safe for the eyes. The provision of wide viewing angles due to the IPS makes sure that colors are crisp and accurate even when screen display is extended. It weighs only 1.7lbs and is fully compatible with all ASUS Notebooks.
The mounting pad resembles the ASUS MB168B so you have to learn how to use it first because it is a bit unique in functionality. Overall, it is a masterpiece and deserves to cost a bit high than some of its competitors.
- 15.6” FHD IPS USB Type-C portable monitor with hybrid signal solution for compatibility with USB Type-C and Type-A sources (Note: DisplayLink driver needed for Type-A connection)
- Ultra-portable award-winning design at 1.7 pounds and 0.3 inches slim to pair perfectly with ASUS laptops. Product Dimensions- 8.9 x 0.3 x 14.2 inches. Brightness(Max)- 220 cd/㎡
- Smart cover and smart pen hole allow for landscape and portrait orientations easily with auto rotation. Auto rotate requires the windows os and displaywidget to be installed. Compatible with thunderbolt 3
- ASUS Eye Care technology with TUV Rheinland-certified flicker-free backlighting and blue light filter minimizes eye fatigue
- Easily toggle through advanced display settings with the intuitive ASUS DisplayWidget. Compliance and Standards- Energy Star, BSMI, CB, CCC, CE, FCC, KCC, RoHS, UkrSEPRO, UL/cUL, VCCI, WEEE, WHQL (Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7), RCM, TUV Flicker-free , TUV Low Blue Light, CU(EAC)
- 60 hertz
4. ViewSonic TD2230 [Best Portable Monitor Under 200]
Although portability generally means easy-to-carry which leads to us thinking that the package must be small but some users won’t mind a bigger screen that can offer cool features. This model is certainly that kind of a product.
It is a 22” screen with a 1080p display resolution that doesn’t fail to impress. Integrated with a SuperClear IPS technology, it provides consistent colors and brightness levels form any direction you look at it.
The design is one to die for. A frameless solution that bids farewell to the clumsy, thick plastic frames on the perimeter of the screens. It has an edge-to-edge design that is slick and strong at the same time. A solid one-piece panel crafted with extreme care and aesthetics and painted with the jet black color that augments the chic further.
The screen is capacitive touch-sensitive and the keyboard emerges on the screen and can detect about 10 simultaneous touches which allow the freedom of accurate yet speedy typing experience.
The tilt range is only 50 degrees which is less than many of the competitors and this lack of flexibility marks the only prominent disadvantage of the said model. It has lower power consumption than most of the displays which are a feature, generally neglected by companies but play a huge role in the performance of the machine with which it is connected. The lower the power is channelized from the operating machine, the less pressure there will be on it. It even has an eco mode which lowers the brightness and color accuracy and operates the screen at only 19 watts.
The port assembly is extensive with 3 USB ports, Display port, HDMI and VGA. The good thing is that they have removable coverings which give the screen a clean and sleek look. The ports are situated on the sides so when the wires are connected, they are prominent on the sides and that’s not very attractive but this placement allows the ports to be easily accessible. It offers a minor input lag which is critical for a gaming experience.
The strength of the screen is provided by the use of protective glass faceplate which makes it prone to scratches and impacts of small magnitude. The company realizes the wide use of portable screens in all sorts of environments and has given durability a consideration.
- 22-Inch Full HD 1080p (1920x1080) 16:9 LED Touch Screen Monitor with HDMI, DisplayPort, USB 3.0, and VGA Inputs
- With a robust, scratch resistant 10-point multi-touch Full HD 1080p touchscreen, versatile connections, and frameless-design, the TD2230 is ideal for use in retail, education, or enterprise
- Freestanding slim bezel tablet design with muted black finish, stable adjustable stand, and 7H scratch resistant surface
- 50M:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio; Two Built-In Speaker; 178/178 Degree Viewing Angles; Physical Dimensions: 19.3” x 11.8” x 5.1”
- 3-year Limited Warranty; Energy Star Certified; Package Content: TD2230 Monitor, Power Cable, Power Adapter, HDMI Cable, USB 3.0 Cable, Audio Cable, Quick Start Guide, and ViewSonic Wizard CD
- Compatible with Windows only; ideal for both laptops and desktops
5. JOHNWILL IPS LCD Screen [Full Hd Portable Monitor]
This is an affordable option largely because it comes from a company that has not yet registered a head-to-head competition with some of the big fish in the market.
It is available in only $130 and is assembled in a rectangular shaped, aluminum alloy body which is characterized with a width of only 1.25 cm and right-angled edges that makes it look less sleek but stronger.
The 13-inch screen manages to provide a full HD resolution of 1920×1080 pixels with IPS panel technology which means accurate and sharp image quality from every direction. It also presents good and equal viewing angles from all sides.
The menu and control buttons are on the backside, similar to Elecrow Screen which makes it difficult to access but the comparatively good thing is their placement is on the top of the screen so hands can reach easily there because there is not stand to hinder you.
It gives dual power options to the user with one 5V USB channel and one 12 V port. There are two HDMI ports for enhanced connectivity as well and one headphone jack. The 1.5W speakers are situated on the back side of the screen. One precaution is to never use both power ports at the same time otherwise there are chances of damage.
The screen is compatible with the majority of the operating systems including Mac, PS4, Xbox, notebooks, CCTV cameras, and industrial equipment. There is no hassle to attach any separate connecting device to ensure the connection between these systems; an extensively user-friendly model with versatility and it all comes under a weight of 1.8 lbs. It is a pretty decent purchase for someone who is not a fanatic of brand name and rather looks for the utility and affordability.
6. GAEMS M155 [Best 17-inch Portable Monitor]
Characterized as a gaming screen but convincingly useful for all purposes, this model is an expensive take but one to consider. Manufactured with the intention to facilitate the gamers, this offers a lag-free experience for all consoles connected via HDMI output. The refresh rate is 60 Hz.
A unique holding feature of this model is the set of anti-slip rubber feet. They are retractable and folded into the screen when not in use. Once they are extended, it provides a suitable viewing angle of up to 12o which is steady.
Even on planes and moving cars, these feet are excessively stable. Had it been adjustable, it would have been outstanding. It comes with a protective cover that can be used as a stand as well. There is a 0.25” socket on the backside of the screen to which camera mounts and other clamps can be connected so if you want an adjustable viewing angle, you can utilize this. But the price of getting the tripod would fall on you and that is frustrating for some.
The video quality is great. The 15-inch screen provides a full 720p resolution and the colors are crisp. The brightness is accurate as well. It supports a color depth of 8 bit so you have no viewing problems while playing games.
The built is not straight-forward. It is elegantly curved from the edges and speaker fins on the sides of the backside. The color is a classy blackish silver. It is made out of plastic but is brawny and can sustain everyday use comfortably. Because it is only 1.2 lbs, it can be carried anywhere.
The issue with this screen is the provision of a very small USB cable. It is powered by USB which as to be connected with the console but the small length makes the setup a bit difficult. The rest of the port assembly includes the audio jack, an HDMI and power plug. This screen is designed to support gaming wherever you like and comes with supporting features to do so. If you can manage a bigger cable and have the money, you must opt for this.
- Virtually lag-free gaming thanks to a 60 Hz refresh rate
- Safeguard the monitor's screen on the go with the protective cover, which features a micro felt interior for defense against damage and doubles as a stand for comfortable viewing
- Listen to game audio, music and more without disturbing others by connecting compatible headphones (not included) to the 3.5mm stereo jack, and ensure reliable power with a mini USB port
- Easily connect compatible devices via the dedicated HDMI input
- Experience games, videos and more in crisp, detailed 720p resolution.Adaptor Input Voltage:100-240v AC
- Please refer user guide (page no 6) for installation and trouble shooting steps
7. GeChic 1305H [Best Portable External Monitor For Laptop]
A fitting portable screen for everyday use with the ability to be adjustable over varying angles, this model is available in $230 and is aesthetically appreciable.
It has a silver color and the size of the bezels is small. The thickness corresponds to the only 7mm which is thinner than the ultra-slim claimed JOHN WILL screen.
If we talk about the display, it is brilliant. It delivers a resolution of 1080p and emits 247 nits. It is very colorful and produces 92 percent of sRGB gamut. The viewing angles are acceptable but not unproblematic like some of the other screens listed here. It includes modes like standard, game and movie and even an overscan mode for channelizing the contents within the boundaries of the screen.
The stand is flap-based which may be irritating for some users who are not previously accustomed if using anything of this sort. It is a cover to protect the screen of scratches at one time and a stand capable of allowing tilt angle range from 40-80 degrees the other. There is also a cover lock to keep the screen shielded while you are traveling.
It can be flipped to portrait mode when reading books and back to landscape when working on spreadsheets but the process is time-consuming as you have to loosen up the clips and put the screen in position after which the desired mode has to be manually selected from the screen.
For connection, GeChic introduces a different technology and has a single cable with USB and HDMI connectors that have to be inserted in separate ports for power and video signal respectively. It is helpful because you are employing only one cable.
- WIDE ANGLE FHD MINI MONITOR: 13. 3” full HD 1920x1080 (16. 7M colors) wide viewing panel Display
- EASY-TO-CARRY: light-weighted 685g, ultra-slim 7mm, the best workmate for your business trip
- TWO-IN-ONE CABLE: HDMI & USB combined cable eliminates the connection hassle
- VERTICAL & HORIZONTAL DISPLAY: dual HDMI connectors on two sides of the monitor satisfy your need in viewing document files in both landscape and portrait display
- PLUG & PLAY / SMART COVER STAND with unique cover lock; Operating :0~50℃; Humidity:20~90%RH
8. AOC e1659Fwu [Best Portable Monitor For Macbook Pro]
This is another improved model in terms of portability and usability. Designed in a shiny piano black color and with an eye-catching design, this screen has a response time of 5ms.
This is a 15.6” screen with a resolution of 1366×768 pixels so you can watch movies and carry out your daily tasks without worrying about the image quality. The 200cd/m2 brightness magnitude helps to create a truly accurate movie experience.
Its foldable flex stand is both slick and strong and can be adjusted to hold the screen at different angles. When the screen is not in use, it can be retracted back to the slot inside the back of the screen.
The auto-pivot feature is a big relief as it can automatically switch between landscape and portrait modes. Coupled with it, it is integrated with DisplayLink Technology which enables more than one monitor to be simultaneously connected with a single laptop.
This comes as a great help in conference meetings where there is a separate screen for each member and they don’t have to lift up their heads to eye the projector all the time. The software can be easily installed on the required screens and used without any complexities.
The 3.0 USB connection ensures a high transfer rate so that you don’t have to wait a long time for the exchange of important files. Another cool feature is the VESA 75X75 mm mount which can support tripods and clamps of your choice with the screen. Now use it during live photoshoots or during expos, you can position it according to your liking. As for the weight, it is on the heavier side and weighs about 2.4 lbs.
On the darker side, it only works with the USB-C connector. It is not explicitly mentioned in the description but that the harsh reality. Either you have to have a suitable laptop or the required add-on.
- 16" (15. 6" Viewable) Display, 200 cd/M2 Brightness, 16: 9 aspect ratio. Max Resolution 1366 x 768, 500: 1 contrast ratio, 8ms response time
- Multiple USB monitors can be simultaneously connected to a single laptop to function as a multi-monitor PC or Mac. Simply installing Display Link software on the PC or Mac allows you to easily add multiple USB monitors for external displays without unnecessary extra hardware
- Usb-powered (no power cable required) with USB 3. 0 technology.
- Foldable flexi-stand for portrait or landscape view in Auto-pivot mode
- Ultra slim design for Easy carry on-the-go for business presentations and frequent travelers, and case is included. Refresh rate: 60Hz
- Compatible with Windows 10 but with only display Link drivers
9. Wanny Denton Portable Screen [Best Budget 4k Portable Monitor]
If you are a careful user and want a 4K portable screen at a cheap price, this is the model for you. Only available at $ 250 and offering a high visual display quality of 4k, this piece is there to make you happy.
It is a 15.6” widescreen and a resolution of 3840×2160 which means a supreme viewing experience, be it the action thrillers of Avengers, the nerve-tingling, low light horror scenes of Annabelle or the graphics demanding games like Battleship and Assassin’s Creed, it will provide you with the best colors, angles, and brightness. To enjoy the full 4k display, you have to purchase the DP to DP/DP cable. Lined with IPS Panel technology, it claims to give accurate viewing angles up to 170 degrees which is outstanding.
The control buttons and the slots are distributed evenly on both sides of the screen where they are easily accessible. It features dual HDMI ports, mini USB port, and two other ports for audio and power. It comes with two additional stands but that have been claimed to be incompatible with the product. The existing stand allows for decent stability.
The design, however, is simple and it is fashioned out of plastic completely so the aforementioned cautions need to be considered seriously. The edges are chamfered but there is no other styling feature integrated into it.
It weighs only 1.8 lbs which is very impressive for a 15-inch screen and so can be carried anywhere. It is fully compatible with Xbox, PS4, and PCs but the menu settings would not be in English initially and the font size would be very small. You have to use the menu and control buttons to change the language and font size as per your wish.
10. Lenovo ThinkVision LT 1421 [Best Budget Gaming Monitor 2019]
This model may be enlisted in the end but that doesn’t mean it is not at par with the models mentioned above. It is one of the best ones with good display and portability.
If we talk about the design, it has a black chassis with small bezels and clean, slim body. There is a box on the backside that contains the adjustable arm that holds it in position. It can tilt the screen from 12 degrees to 40 degrees and it sturdy inbuilt. There is a shielding box for the screen to protect it against scratches while use or while you travel with it but it adds a bit of weight to the screen.
The connection is made through the single micro USB port present on the backside. There are two more USB ports for further connection with other machines. There is also a brightness rocker on the backside which can be used to select among 16 levels of brightness. Up to six screens can be connected to a single PC using DisplayLink technology.
The resolution of the 14 inch display is a decent 1366×768 pixel with 200 nits that account for a colorful-accurate and bright display. The graphics emerge with no problems and can be adjusted by the setting menu. The matte coating ensures wide viewing angles and the screen did not darken until it was tilted back beyond 45 degrees.
The first installation of the drivers has to done manually after which there is no further installation required. It weighs 2.25 lbs which is heavier than other models but it can still be carried around easily.
- 14-inch viewable image size
- Display resolution of 1366 x 768 matching mainstream Notebook resolution
- Light weight (monitor: 0.84kg/1.8lbs; with Screen Cover: 1.02kg/2.25lbs)
- Photo frame tilt stand adjustments for viewing comfort (12 degree~40 degree)
- Brightness adjustment button for 16 level brightness, USB 2.0 connection, USB powered